Thursday, August 18, 2005

Worst Ten Seconds of My Life

This past weekend DH, DD and I headed into the woods for a little relaxation. We went north into the Adirondacks to a little pond near Minerva. It was a two mile hike in and it was quite hot and humid for our 8:30 start. On the hike in DD did great with her full pack thanks in part to her hydration bladder to keep her occupied. Got to the leanto with no one there. We had the place to ourselves. Unfortunately the swimming was not the greatest so DD and I would have to make do with the baby wipes. DH, after cutting wood and setting up camp, went for it anyway. The leeches were kind of a deterent for me. The leanto remained somewhat cool most of the day. DD and I spent a great deal of the day playing cards. War is her new favorite game. It was quite entertaining actually. We got hungry and broke out the snacks. Had a Clif bar that DD and I ate half of and some Gorp. I then asked DH if he wanted the rest of the Clif bar. He said sure. He chewed up the Clif bar and reached for some water and took a big swig. At that point I was still sitting in the leanto with DD. I hear DH sart to cough. Next thing I see is DH looking at me with his hand to his thoat. He can't breath. I jumped up to help him. He is crouching down trying to breath. He is making the worst sound I have ever heard in my life. I know he is not getting any air. I try to get him to stand so I can do the heimlich on him. He then raises his hands up for me to do this. I knew the situation was really bad if he was actually letting me do this. He was still crouching and I had my arms around him trying to get him to stand up. I gave a few desperate pulls inward, yet I knew I had to get him to stand up to do the procedure correctly. DH suddenly puts his one hand up and I stop. He begins to breathe agian. Needless to say it was a very close call. DH kept saying I'm alright, I'm alright, but the reality of the situation took hold of me and I couldn't stop shaking. I knew I could not make a huge deal about it at that point with DD looking on wondering what was happening. She thought Daddy was sick and was going to throw-up. All that kept going through my mind was if he had died. We were two miles in the woods. What would my daughter and I have done? The thoughts and the senerios play over and over. DH was pretty shaken up as well as you can imagine. We tried not to make a big deal about it beacuse we did not want to scare DD, but that night after DD went to sleep, we talked about it over a few glasses of wine in front of the fire. We analyzed the situation and we came to the conclusion that he had not choked on the Clif bar. It was when he took the big gulp of water and started coughing the water went down his wind pipe which caused his windpipe (larnynx) to constrict. This is what happens to some drowning victims. Just thank god his muscles relaxed. Can't begin to think what would have happened if they hadn't. A definite life changing event in my book. I told DH never under any circumstances to do that to me again. We hiked out the next morning in scattered showers and went to lunch and headed home. With the exception of the ten second choking incident, we really did end up having a nice weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home